Millions of people wish to improve the appearance of their teeth. They may cringe when they see photos of themselves and notice a smile that is dull, crooked, chipped, or otherwise flawed. If that story hits close to home for you, it may be time to schedule a consultation with a local cosmetic dentist, Dr. Robert Bryce. After the dentist evaluates your teeth and talks to you about your goals for treatment, they might recommend that you receive porcelain veneers. Let’s talk more about what porcelain veneers are and how they may be able to deliver your dream look.
What Are Veneers?
A veneer is a thin covering for something that is meant to change its appearance. There are a few different types of dental veneers, the most popular of which are porcelain veneers and composite veneers. Both can reshape teeth and disguise discoloration, minor misalignment, chips, small gaps, and more.
However, porcelain veneers are superior to their composite counterparts in a number of ways. For example, porcelain is nonporous, which means that it will not become discolored over time. Composite veneers are more likely to incur stains. Porcelain veneers are also much more durable and tend to stand up better to the test of time.
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers
Besides the aforementioned advantages of porcelain veneers, this cosmetic treatment offers additional perks:
- You can have a say in designing your treatment. Would you like your teeth to more feminine or more masculine? Do you want them to be a particular shade of white? Would you like to transform just a few teeth or all of the teeth that are visible when you smile? Let your dentist know your preferences so you can achieve your ideal results.
- It takes just two appointments. Porcelain veneers can transform your smile very quickly, which often makes them a preferable alternative to orthodontics when it comes to addressing minor misalignment in the front teeth.
- Veneers are easy to care for. To keep your veneers looking their best, you might have to switch to a different type of toothpaste or make other very minor adjustments to your daily routine. By and large, however, caring for porcelain veneers is quite similar to caring for natural teeth.
Who Can Get Porcelain Veneers?
You may be an ideal candidate for porcelain veneers if:
- You have aesthetic imperfections in your smile that you would like to correct
- Your oral health is sound, and your teeth have enough enamel to support veneers
- You are ready to make a long-term commitment to porcelain veneers (due to the way veneers are placed, you will not be able to change your mind about them after your teeth are prepared to receive them)
Porcelain veneers are a remarkable cosmetic treatment that could transform your smile — and perhaps even transform the way you perceive yourself. Your cosmetic dentist is ready to help you take advantage of them!
About the Author
Dr. Robert Bryce is a highly accomplished general, restorative, and cosmetic dentist. He has the rare honor of having achieved Mastership status with the Last Vegas Institute, which is world-renowned for its focus on aesthetic dentistry. If you would like to speak to Dr. Bryce about transforming your smile with porcelain veneers or other cosmetic treatments, contact our office at 571-434-8000.