A smile is the universal gesture. It can put others at ease and let them know that you’re a friendly, warm person. It can boost your mood and even make you look younger. But what if your smile has some little (or big) flaws that are holding it back from reaching its true potential? There are several treatments available from your cosmetic dentist that can transform your pearly whites and give you a set of teeth that turns heads wherever you go. One of those treatments is porcelain veneers.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Dental veneers are very thin pieces of porcelain that your cosmetic dentist permanently attaches to the fronts of your teeth, thereby disguising all their imperfections. Some of the issues that veneers can make disappear include:
- Cracks and chips
- Teeth that are too small
- Small gaps between the teeth
- Minor misalignment
Veneers usually go on your upper front teeth, but they can also be placed on your bottom front teeth if you want the most complete smile makeover available.
Other treatments, such as whitening and dental bonding, can also drastically improve the appearance of your teeth. However, because veneers provide the longest lasting results, they are often considered the gold standard of cosmetic dentistry.
A Smile That Won’t Quit
After your dentist places your veneers, you can look forward to many years of beautiful smiles (on average, veneers last over a decade). To get the most out of your new look, though, there are a few key guidelines you should follow:
- Maintain great oral hygiene. By brushing and flossing diligently, you can prevent stains and protect the teeth under the veneers that are supporting your gorgeous cosmetic treatment.
- Don’t eat anything too hard. Chewing on ice, unpopped popcorn kernels, or other hard objects can put your veneers at risk of breaking.
- Consume dark foods and beverages in moderation. Porcelain is resistant to stains, but it can become discolored over time. To maintain its luster, limit your consumption of things like coffee, wine, and berries.
- Visit the dentist regularly. Regular cleanings and checkups may prevent issues with your veneers.
How to Get Started
Your journey to a new smile begins with a visit to your cosmetic dentist, who will make sure your teeth and gums are healthy enough to support veneers. Then, the fun part begins. During the planning phase, your dentist will select the shade of your veneers and take images of your mouth. Using special software, they can also show you a preview of what your new smile will look like.
Once the plan is in place, you’re only a couple appointments away from being the owner of a set of teeth that makes everyone around you jealous. The first appointment is when your dentist will prepare your teeth. You’ll come back once the laboratory has finished creating your veneers so you can get them installed.
Do you want teeth that are as beautiful as your personality? Veneers might be right for you.
About the Dentist
Dr. Robert Bryce is your smile makeover serving Sterling and the surrounding area. He puts his advanced skills and passion to work to help his patients achieve healthy, beautiful teeth. If you’re interested in veneers or other cosmetic treatments, please contact Dr. Bryce’s office at 571-223-6221.